Saturday, January 1, 2011

New Year's Day

January 1, 2011

Other than my daughter being born in 2010, I look at that year in pretty negative light. It seems to have been the year my 40's really kicked in and the year I lost my friend Delaney. As I view it now, I remember illnesses, injuries and sadness mixed with a bit of joy in Juliet's arrival.

But that is now in the past!

As I look ahead to 2011, I have been trying to think of some guiding words. Here is what comes to mind: resurgence, tenacity, focus, caring.

I have alot to look forward to:
  • Starting a Masters program through Boise State as I begin a new stage in my teaching career. It'll be tough to balance it with work, family and fitness, but I am very excited about the work and the learning.
  • Rebuilding my fitness. I really only worked out 4 months last year. I trained for the Cherry Blossom in April and let it slide form there (granted that softball brought a number of injuries that hindered progress. I had no triathlons and I don't think I even ran a 5K race. Starting today, I am working through a 90 day round of P90X. After that, a more triathlon directed program for summer and ending with a long run (marathon?) late in the year.
  • My family is growing up. I can't believe how big Juliet is already. Jocelyn can have a normal conversation with me. Jackson is getting closer and closer to Jocelyn in height and speed. This year, I become an example for them. Let me say that better, I am always an example for them, this year I become a GOOD example for them. Healthy eating, regular exercise, laughing more and just plain enjoying my time with them. All the things I want them to be.

As far as exercise goes, P90X starts today. I will start in day 4 of the program to fit my schedule best and end on days 1,2 and 3 after day 87. Since the program is broken into three sections, I am dedicating each section to one of my kids for inspiration. January is for Jocelyn, February is for Jackson and March is for Juliet. I will push through the program to the bets of my ability without risking injury. I imagine that each section will have it's challenges. January is the start and if I push too hard, I risk injury. February is a transition to a new phase and that can be tough for me. March has two weeks of vacation. It will take focus and tenacity.

Just some stats:
  • Weight on 1/1/2011: 211 lbs
  • Waist size: 38(+)
  • Flexibility (scale of 1-5): 2
  • Strength (scale of 1-5):3
  • Endurance (scale of 1-5):2
  • Overall Sense of Myself (scale of 1-5):3

All in all, I look forward to the challenges and opportunities 2011 will bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment