Saturday, December 18, 2010

Teaching lessons that you need yourself

I had a good conversation with a student yesterday. He is not a great student, but really it comes down to the fact that he just doesn't put in much effort. He could do well, he has shown this in spurts. He could be very good in some ways, but old habits seem to keep him down.

We talked about how he clearly doesn't put forth the effort he would need to to achieve certain goals (though whether those are his goals or not is an issue too). He does just enough to feel like he is moving towards those goals. Just enough to not despair or to not fail. But never enough to actually succeed.

As I was talking to him I used myself as an example. "I want to be a triathlete, but do the same thing you do. I do enough work to feel like I am heading to that goal, but never enough to make progress." It was a realization. Doing just enough to keep the demons away seems to be a habit for me. There are moments of progress, but the long view shows something different.

In the end, this was a great opportunity to see myself in a clear light. The motivation is there, the time is scarce (and going to get even scarcer.) I need goals and a plan laid out. I do need patience, but I also need drive and persistence.

Here is a simple plan (I know I have to focus it way more):
  • Improve General Fitness
  • Build Triathlon Fitness base
  • Improve Triathlon Fitness
I can build up from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment